Oct 25, 2017
With Paraguay removing its visa requirements for Singapore, the country’s bright red passport is now the most powerful in the world with a visa-free score of 159, according to Passport Index. This is the first time in history that an Asian country has topped the ranks, a position held by Germany for the past two years.
The move by Paraguay could nudge Singaporeans into exploring the little-known South American country, as travelling there will now be easier than before. Surrounded by neighbours like Argentina, Brazil and Bolivia, Paraguay boasts charming colonial cities and unique wildlife in its dense forests.
The Global Passport Power Rank of 2017 from Passport Index was developed by leading global advisory for residence and citizenship solutions Arton Capital. It ranks national passports by the cross-border access they bring, assigning a “visa-free score” according to the number of countries a passport holder can visit visa-free or with visa on arrival.
Here is the new Top 10 Passport Power Ranking:
3. Sweden, South Korea
4. Denmark, Finland, Italy, France, Spain, Norway, Japan, United Kingdom
5. Luxembourg, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Portugal
6. Malaysia, Ireland, Canada, United States of America
7. Austria, Greece, New Zealand
8. Malta, Czech Republic, Iceland
10. Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia
See the full list at www.passportindex.org.